- Category: Exercise & Nutrition
- Posted On:
As you age, your nutrition becomes increasingly important for your health and well-being. Check out these quick notes and some of the links to see important benefits to making sure you keep a balanced nutrition!
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Water is very important as you age. Check out this link to see the importance of drinking plenty of water!
- Take an age-appropriate multi-vitamin.
- Want to know the importance of having these vitamins and minerals as a senior? Check out this article!
- Maintain dental health.
- Eat low-fat dairy products, lean meats, fish, poultry, and a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Limit saturated and trans fats.
- Reduce sodium.
- Add fiber.
- If medication affects taste, switch to a different source of protein, fiber, etc. For instance, replace red meat with poultry or a milk-based protein source like yogurt and cheese.
- Make dining fun and social!
*A healthy diet for seniors can significantly reduce one’s risk for osteoporosis, heart diseases and hypertension; here’s 10 more tips from the USDA to maintain such a healthy diet.